one contented homebody

a vintage inspired life

Wednesday, January 15, 2020

op shop happiness

Hello again.

Last weekend on my usual jaunt to see my parents, I stopped off at my favourite little op shop, a weekly event for me. My daughter also met me there (think she is getting hooked too).

This is what I came home with;

A cute little velvet bag with ribbon embroidery on the front. Inside is beautiful smelling potpourri.


This scrap of lace that is quite large.  I will make produce bags from it and use some for craft.


A pretty vintage apron in really good condition.


A pink cotton pillowcase to use for beeswax wraps.


And this cotton pillowcase for the same purpose.


A lovely small vintage embroidered tablecloth.  I am thinking of unpicking the lace sewn around the border and add some crochet to finish it off nicely.


Loving this small sized table runner.


I always grab vintage pillowcases with embroidery on, simply because I love them.



A little girls vintage quilt cover. Love the old fashioned design. This has a few old stains that I am hoping to remove after much soaking. Any age old tips welcome.




A complete queen sized quilt set in perfect condition.


 Not sure if I will use this for making other things or keep as is.


Little girls vintage Holly Hobby single quilt cover set. There were two of these. I really don't know what I am going to do with the quilt covers, I just couldn't bare to leave them there lol!


Five dollars for all of these. The little op shop is very cheap and open seven days a week. My mum volunteers in there once a week or when required. All profit goes back into the community to spend around the town.

I have freshly washed all the linen, and now just needs to be ironed. 

Do you op shop? What is your favourite find?

xTania

6 comments:

  1. Great finds Tania. I like op-shopping too but try to only go if I need something elsewise I would bring home too much stuff. As for the stains, if they aren't too large and they won't come out, could you add some lace doileys over the spots?
    I've been using curtains for produce bags too. My daughter in-law sells them for an animal charity she is involved with. Some more surtain supplies could be my excuse for going to the op shop soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracy.

      That is a great idea to cover the stains with lace doileys. Thank you. I haven't tried to get the stains out yet as I only noticed them when I washed the quilt. So far I have read that soaking in cold water and vinegar or lemon juice might help, then hang in the sunshine.

      I don't need an excuse to go to an op shop lol. Although I haven't been going to the others in our town for ages. You are right, will end up with too much stuff! I have a big heap of stuff to go to the op shop, so that will make some room haha.

      My daughter wants some of the lace produce bags, so thought I may as well make extra to give as gifts.

      xTania

      Delete
  2. Wow great finds. Love the holly hobby.
    I haven’t been op shopping for years
    I used to love buying clothes and re making them so they would be new fashion but that was when I was young and single many many moons ago

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, I love the op shop. I find most of my clothes there, but never thought to remodel them. I really must sharpen my sewing skills.

      xTania

      Delete
  3. Those are wonderful finds! How nice that you are taking such good care of them.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments.