one contented homebody

a vintage inspired life

Thursday, January 9, 2020

health, fitness and busyness

Image may contain: ‎possible text that says '‎Piglet: What will 2020 bring us? Pooh: 366 opportunities to touch a heart, to wipe a tear, to say love you", to pray for soMeone, to Make a difference. Piglet: May 2020 be our year of opportunity. ~wJע‎'‎

Hello again friends.

I hope you are all settling into the new year and safe from the fires that are ravaging our country. These are horrific times for Australia. So many people left without homes, and so many of our beautiful native wildlife perished or badly injured, same with livestock.  I sit here feeling helpless while all the carnage is going on. We are safe where we are, although getting smoke from the Kangaroo Island fires.

In case you were wondering where I have been, I will be back posting soon. I really wanted to post earlier but had some health issues appear so I haven't felt in the mood, instead I have been back and forth to the doctors and hospital for x-rays. 

After a few worrying days, it turns out that I have fatty liver and acid reflux problems. Thank goodness I found out about the liver as left to build up, it can have serious consequences. The doctor thinks that having my gall bladder removed about twenty years ago may well be the cause of fat deposits in my liver. The other issue I have suffered for years is indigestion and stomach problems, but this time it decided to flare up into burning pain that would not go away, so off to the doctor I went and he ordered a blood test. This came back showing that I had elevated liver enzymes and low white blood cell count, so this is why there were xrays taken. 

This now means that my year and the rest of my life has been laid out for me. I have to keep healthy by eating low carb and low fat food. This sadly means no more cakes and biscuits etc, or at least a lot less. Boohoo! And with acid reflux, I will still have to avoid food that can set off an attack, even though I have medication now. The other thing is to increase my exercise from a casual walk to a bit of cardio, I need my heart to get pumping because this helps the liver dispose of fat.

Anyway, that's enough of my woes. It is hot here today (44C) and hubby and I have been organising what we call the rumpus room. It is a room that we built off the side of the shed, where my crafty things are kept plus a myriad of other things, including junk and lots of it!. As the room has air conditioning, we decided to go out there and get busy. So after much rearranging and sorting of stuff to go to the op shops, it is now up to me to finish off by packing things away.  I have gym equipment in there and will be needing to use it everyday for the rest of my life, so this was a job that needed doing. I will also be able to craft until my heart is content once all my sewing gear etc is sorted and organised. Oh my goodness I cant wait! 

A smoky sunset. The sun was actually blood red, but it did not show up in the photo.  It was quite eerie.


The smoky haze laying over our town after sundown.



I'll be back soon with another post and I might even show you where I am at with the now newly named "craft" room.

Take care all.

xTania

6 comments:

  1. Tania, 44C would just about kill me. 38C is bad enough. I am glad your health issues got sorted out. I read Dr.Sandra Cabot's book about cleaning a fatty liver hears ago but most doctors think it is rubbish. I tend to believe her though. I hope your health improves in 2020. I also need to do more exercise as I get older.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nanna Chel,

      I have those liver books and that is what scared me the most, was reading them. I agree the doctors are very lax about it. As far back as 2013 my liver enzymes have been elevated, but the Drs told me it was nothing to worry about. However Dr Cabot says that it is the first sign of trouble for the liver, and like you I believe her. So I will be sticking to what she recommends for an eating plan. I was lucky enough to meet Dr Cabot when she came to Port Augusta a few years ago, she was brilliant to listen to, and I wish I had followed her advice back then. I will now for sure!

      Do that exercise Chel, it has so many benefits.

      xTania

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear about your health issues, what a rotten way to start the year! I don’t know if I would have the discipline to work out if my sewing machine was looking at me! Ha! 😜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes true Cheryl, it is going to be a struggle haha!

      xTania

      Delete
  3. I’m sorry you have been having health issues. I have acid reflux and barretts oesophagus and manage it with meds and diet
    It’s not hard once you get used to it. And the fact that you have less pain when you eat properly is a bonus
    Hope your feeling better soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The medication is helping a lot Angela. Cant believe I put up with the pain for so long.

      xTania

      Delete

I love to hear your comments.