one contented homebody

a vintage inspired life

Wednesday, February 19, 2020

I did this thing


A week ago I was very brave and  faced one of my fears! 

I have very low self esteem and have always had a fear of people judging me. Or fear of anything really. That is anxiety!

So this is what I did...

I joined the local music group to learn to play ukulele.  This is a huge step for me, and something I have wanted to do for so long, but always made excuses. I really surprised myself by not being nervous upon arrival and kept calm throughout the hour long tuition and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I am so proud of me for deciding to challenge myself to learn something new.

So now once a week on a Monday afternoon, I trot off to the lessons. The teacher said I had a natural beat and should do well.



And guess what?  I can play my first songs,  "You are my Sunshine" and I can almost play "Down on the Corner". Yippee! This week I was given another four songs to practice, so moving along nicely. My poor fingers though, they are a bit tender, but I can live with that.

What new thing would you love to try? Go on, be like Tania and have a go!

xTania

10 comments:

  1. Tania, good on you. My father played the ukelele and I inherited his but gave it away a few years back. Hopefully it was used by the organisation I gave it to. It is a bit like playing the guitar. You get really tender finger tips for a while but eventually callouses form and it isn't so painful any more. Just take it easy though while your fingers are getting used to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nanna Chel. I can feel the callouses forming already. I am limiting my practice to once a day at the moment.

      xTania

      Delete
  2. That is so cool Tania :), well done you. There is nothing like facing down one of our fears. !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good on you Tania. I admire your courage and your ability to pick up playing so quickly. Anxiety really drags you down and I have been there too. I also found mindfulness and meditation to be really helpful. Looking forward to hearing about your progress with the ukelele. I want to master free motion quilting this year. I have tried before but struggled with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy. I am going down the mindfulness and meditation road too and finding it very helpful. This in turn is leading me into other directions where I am learning to live fully and be happy. It will be a long road but I am determined to get there.

      xTania

      Delete
  4. Good on you, Tania. How wonderful to be learning something that will nourish your soul and make you happy. Music! My son is learning to play the guitar and it brings me such joy to hear him strumming away on my old guitar; the one I bought with my very first pay cheque! Keep on practising and enjoying all you learn. Meg Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Meg.

      It is very nourishing for the soul, and yes it has improved my mood a lot! Music is so good for us and I have always enjoyed it over the years, though it has taken me this long to actually learn something for my self. It is good for our brains to be challenged and this is the main reason I am doing it as well as something for myself to achieve.

      That is so great that your son is learning to play the guitar on your old one. That is so sweet, and I can imagine how it would make your heart sing to hear him play. Beautiful <3

      xTania

      Delete
  5. I'm so happy for you that you went ahead and started lessons for something you want to learn!

    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely encouragement.

      My deepest apology for not seeing this comment sooner.

      Sweet blessings,
      xTania

      Delete

I love to hear your comments.